Ok we have a situation, we are making the final decisions on our house. I really wanted wood floors, but we decided against it a few months ago because I only want dark wood and apparently it's a huge pain to keep clean. It shows any dirt or dust so you have to constantly sweep it. So we decided to put tile in our entry way, kitchen, laundry room and half bath. Then put carpet everywhere else..... (I don't love carpet).
Now I'm second guessing myself, I think that dark wood is the most beautiful flooring in the world, I love love love it! I'm in the process of pricing everything but I'm fairly certain that once it's all said and done wood is going to cost less because Tanner and the rest of the guys can lay it them selves. The tile we would probably just pay someone to do it. (the guys think they can lay the tile, but I think it's more of a headache than it's worth.)
So here is where I need help...... if it turns out that we can do the wood for less there are still a few issues.
Is it hard to keep clean?
Do you put it in the kitchen????? If anything leaks, the wood will be ruined. Is it worth the risk?
If we did wood everywhere but put tile in the kitchen, have you ever seen it where it blends really well? I think that the wood to tile transition looks so terribly tacky! Have you ever seen it done well?
If you have wood or know someone that does maybe you can give me your advise.
I'm stressing so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thursday, May 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
I have dark wood and I've never regretted it once. If you love the look of it, then you should get it. You can have it in your kitchen. Is it real wood or laminate? Talk to the people at the store and they will tell you all about it, but trust me, wood is so much better!!
Shasta- in Chicago lots and lots of people have wood floors. I also LOVE the way wood looks! I want to have wood floors wherever I live. Some places I've seen have tile in the kitchen and others have wood in the kitchen. I think there is always tile in the bathrooms, in case of water damage. I think as long as the tile complements the wood, the transition looks fine. Usually there's just a long, wide piece of wood covering up the point where the two meet. I think if you want wood, you should do it! because you wouldn't to get tile, hate it, then pay to have it taken out and wood put in!
I wish I had wood floors..I love the way they look.. Get what you want, then you will never regret that you never got them. I have tile in my house I like it but I think I would have like wood better.
We watched confessions of a shopaholic.. It was so cute.. we loved it.
I hear ya on the transition from wood to tile. I have never seen it done well. Dark wood is gorgeous! I'm interested, too, in whether it is harder to keep up. (how do you keep it clean...can you mop it?)
After having tile and carpet in my first house this is what I have decided to do in my next...ONLY PUT CARPET IN THE BEDROOMS!!!!! Then do Tile in the bathrooms and wood everywhere else..after having kids your carpet will look like crap..DO NOT do shagg..do a berberry with a patern..it looks nicer..our shag carpet was so gross after hudson threw up on it.it being vaccumed for 3 years and spilling anything else on it. I just dont think that you can go wrong with wood and it will make your house look timeless..plus then you can paint your walls whatever you like...I cant wait to see pictures of your house.
Post a Comment