Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Tribute to an Old Friend

This is bound to be a long post.... Sad but mostly cheesy. Oh and you will probably lose all respect for me by the end.

Today has been a difficult day..... Tanner and I bought new cell phones, I am now the proud owner of a beautiful Blackberry Curve.


I've been looking forward to today all week. Well Tanner went into the Sprint store to get everything worked out. We're working for this new company and when you buy certain things you get a kickback on your bill each month. So we decided to buy our new phones nine months before our contract was up. They said it wouldn't be a problem since we were staying with Sprint, we were just buying the phones through a third party. So no termination fee or anything like that. I picked Tanner up and asked him how it went. He said "well my phone is in my pocket and yours is still in the box, do you want the good news or the bad news first?" I wasn't really in the mood so I said just tell me what's going on. He laughed and asked again, "good news or bad news?" Fine give me the...... I turned, looked at him and said "I AM NOT CHANGING MY NUMBER." He said "well leave your phone in the box then and I'll return it tomorrow." I was horrified! I didn't know if I should get mad or just cry.... then I see HIM laughing. My eyes narrowed and I thought to myself "this is the same bastard that made me change my name a year and half ago! I guess he won't rest until I've lost my entire identity."

A little preface:
Pretty much all my friends except for a couple were married before me... And not one of them ever mentioned how hard it is to change your name. I knew all about the wedding night, the first year, the being patient, the "never go to bed angry", the budgeting, blah blah blah that all came easy and natural for me. But not one word about the "changing your name" experience. Thanks everyone. Now I never had cold feet, or second thoughts, or worried at all about marrying Tanner. I always thought when I got married I would freak out and feel trapped, but it never happened. Then came the changing of my name..... That was the hardest thing I've ever done. I think I made Tanner feel bad because it was so difficult for me. It's just that, it's my name! MY NAME. It's who I am, it's who I know, it's how everyone knows me. People won't know who I am anymore. I felt like my identity was being taken away. It was hard.

Back to today:
Those feelings came rushing back. I know I know it's a phone number! But it's my number. It's the only number I've ever had. Since the day I got my first cell phone, over TEN years ago. I love it, I've always felt bad for everyone else because nobody has a number as fabulous as mine. It's such a huge part of me.
So I had to make a decision. The new amazing phone with Internet, GPS and I can plug it into my laptop and use it as a modem. Or I can keep something that as silly as it is, means an awful lot to me.

Well after playing on my Blackberry and experiencing the absolute fabulousness of it.... I've decided to say goodbye to my dear phone number.


So Goodbye Good Friend Goodbye.
Goodbye 703-7071
We've been through everything together.
Phones: How may phones have we been through? Countless
Guys: You're the number I gave to so many guys, some were wonderful and some I wish you had blocked.
Family: You're the only number that Heather had memorized because you were so easy to remember. Everyone knows you because it's always been you and me.
Friends: You were the number that friends would call to talk or to cry.
Tanner: You were the number I gave to Tanner when we first met. When Tanner and I were "on a break" you were the number that was on the $650 phone bill. (I spent a lot of time talking and crying on the phone with family and friends)
Cell Phone companies: how is it that even when I changed from Tmobile to Sprint you came with me without a problem, but now as I stay with Sprint I'm loosing you??

Good luck to whoever gets my beloved number next. I hope you love it and it brings you as much love and happiness as I have had. Good bye! sniff sniff

1 comment:

cosmo and jenn said...

so... whats your new number? or since i havent received it does this mean i'm being slowly faded out? :)
and dont worry, i understand. cosmo tried to make me change mine, and i refused. but then again, i still have my same phone from 7 years ago....